Wednesday 13 March 2013

Salif Keita brought world music joy to Singapore


I haven't attended a "world music" concert for a while as I found that it tended to be "similar" in the rhythm and heavy with synthesizer.  Based on a few songs listened from the web, I decided to attend Salif Keita's concert.   The opening sequence, however, got me worried as Salif Keita did some theatrical thing like wanting audience to sing him Happy Birthday song.

But after this was over, it was full steam ahead.   What I like about this concert was the beautiful music arrangement of the songs, the rhythm was really nice.  My slight "complaint" was again the more synthesizer-feel sound in the concert than on the recording.  Most times, we could not hear the voice of Salif.

But overall, he led the ensemble of musicians well.  Salif appeared to me like an uncle coming back from a fishing trip, very relax and decided to do some songs.  His ability to get the crowd standing on their feet most of the time was amazing. A good concert under the Mosaic Music Festival.

No comments :

Post a Comment